Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Carnival of Lights



Hi all,

The following story is written for Thursday Tales. The inspiring image comes from NineteenCID.

He called my name through the whir of carnival lights. The air smelled of cotton candy and popcorn. He wrapped his arms around me like a sweater. The brisk, autumn air kissed my cheeks.

“Let’s take a ride on those swings,” he smiled. He put his fingers through mine and lifted my hand into the air. When he touched me, I could feel butterflies rise in my stomach. I laughed like a school girl.

We stood in line stealing kisses when I noticed a proposal strung up in neon lights: Will you marry me?

“Who’s the lucky girl,” I laughed, glancing into his dancing eyes.

“I’m looking at her,” he smiled slyly. I fell back in surprise and my mouth flew open. This tipsy, giddy feeling swept over me. His body was the only thing keeping me up.

“I don’t know what to say,” I stammered. My quivering lips met his with the answer.

“Just say yes,” he whispered. He knelt carrying a velvet box. My eyes welled up in surprising joy as I hung my arms around his neck.

I felt young, barely five, when I rode with a giddy grin in the carnival of lights.

5 comments:

Pattyb said...

captivating, right from the start.. very nice!

workerv said...

A dream come, how many young women of all ages
dream this dream. Weather it'll be materalized
or not remains to be seen, but the joy of her
happiness we all can share. Just lovely!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog!

Saras said...

Hey! That is quite a Tale. Loved it.

Kilauea Poetry said...

This was a cool take..I like the image and your story-