Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Reaper: Conclusion

Without further ado, here is the conclusion to The Reaper. When I began this short story piece, I was not sure where the narrative would take me. Initially, it was a small piece about The Sower but I felt the story needed a sequel and conclusion of sorts. The only challenge I had writing this piece was chopping it up into posts that maintained a level of coherency. Please let me know what you thought of the story and thank you for reading.


Kadin purposed in his heart to see his father again and soon discovered his legs travelling to the fields of his dream. The world around him appeared desolate. The solace of the morning was interrupted by the beating of birds' wings. Then he noticed a man hunched so low to the ground, he kissed the earth. Kadin knew it was his father.


Time's withered hands cast wrinkles on his frame, and he appeared like a dried prune shrinking in the sun's eyes. Kadin was afraid of his father's countenance but opened his mouth to speak.


"Sir, may I have a word with you," Kadin asked graciously and the man looked up at him. The sower's eyes were dark and his neck could barely lift his head in the heat.


"May I help you, young man," he answered and his voice trailed softly.


"I'm your son, Kadin." The sower paused at the revelation with great jubilation and a broad smile settled over his lips.


"Oh my son, my son. How did you know how to find me," and his feeble arms embraced his grown child.


The years which had elapsed, gathered together like young chicks nestling under their mother's wings. Time wound back its hands and instantly a young boy was chasing his father in a field of dreams.

6 comments:

Kilauea Poetry said...

Cool, I think you wove this nicely and pulled it off well. What a happy ending. I was hoping he'd return to his roots- Nice job

Kilauea Poetry said...

Pulled it off sounds more like whew..this type of thing would be difficult for me! I think your a great writer and just wanted to say that-

septembermom said...

A satisfying ending. I really enjoyed this story. Your imagery and dialogue grabbed my attention from the start and kept me looking for more. Well done.

C Will said...

Well, I will miss Kadin what a kind young man. This was a wonderful story you kept me engaged from begining to end. The way you described the characters the land and there relationships. It was so vivid at times I could almost see them. Loved the story very well done!!!!!!:p

Unbreakable said...

I was looking for a bad ending but it turned out to get good. I like it.

Good Job

Nadege said...

i will miss kadin's sweet gentleness, you've
given him a quiet inner strength write girl.