Monday, May 31, 2010

Rain Dance


Hi bloggers,
Today is another edition of Thursday Tales. The amazing photo above is by Spider13Bug.

Nina was surprised how dark and gray the skies became. She had just begun her long walk from school. Her book bag hung heavily from her shoulders. There was much to do, she thought and she barely had time to brace for the rain. The skies opened up and rain fell hard against her back. The rain soaked her shirt and pleated skirt. Heat rose from her chest and she was blowing hot smoke. She was annoyed by the downpour and cursed beneath her breath. Nina slipped on the muddy road and crashed to the ground. Tears welled up in her eyes, but she heard the cackle of rain in the wind. Raindrops rippled along her cheeks and she laughed. Nina stood and twirled in place. She opened her tongue and tasted the sky against her lips. Her arms flew up like the wings of a bird. Nina discovered her own rain dance.

9 comments:

Nadege said...

a great real life in-the-moment slice of prose,
write girl - realistic: how if we are lucky
we change the shape of the moment into one
of joy.

Kilauea Poetry said...

I especially enjoyed this one- of we could just remember this! Hope you enjoyed your day-

Amity said...

I love it Write Girl...I could feel the carefree attitude of Nina...:)

And I guess, I could tap that rain dance too! And enjoy it like when I was kid whose always summoned to stop playing under the rains!

JStar said...

I guess she had no choice but to enjoy that moment...She was already soaked....Sometimes stopping and tasting the rain is needed...

C Will said...

Hey WG,
I really enjoyed this story so vivid I feel like I stepped into the story...I was in a down pour not that long ago and decided to enjoy what I could not change!!! thanks for this wonderful story and a flash back to boot!!!:p

Opaque said...

Freedom from pain!

Kilauea Poetry said...

Forgot to mention that I really like the image here as well-

Anonymous said...

Let it rain!

septembermom said...

I could sense Nina's desire to soar and be liberated. Awesome job!